GSA Acrylic and Mixed Media: Explore, Express & Play!
By registering with the Guelph School of Art you agree to our Terms and Conditions
with Laurie Skantzos
6 WEEKS, WEDNESDAYS, JAN. 9 – FEB. 13, 12:30-3:30 PM
Laurie offers you an opportunity to explore, experiment, create and play with acrylic paint and a variety of mixed media and collage. Utilizing an assortment of “loosening up” exercises, she will assist you in finding your own unique mark. Over five weeks you will venture deeper into your painting process and develop your personal expression in a safe, non-judgmental and playful space. Demonstrations of techniques throughout the course will give you extra tools to assist you in your exploration. These will include collage, creating stamps, linocut prints and transfers, texture creation and more!
For the 1st class please bring
- 1-2 canvases or boards (min. 11” X 14”, max. 36” x 48”)
- Speedy Stamp flexible block 4” x 6”
- lino cutter
- spray bottle
- palette (disposable paper palettes can be useful)
- flat brushes various sizes (one 1” - 2”)
- acrylic paint (Golden is a great brand but student quality will be fine too) warm & cool of the 3 primaries plus black & lots of white is good to start with
- Suggested colours: Titanium white (you will probably use a lot of this), Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Light, Lemon Yellow, Hansa Yellow Medium or Cadmium Yellow, Black, Golden Iridescent Bronze (this brand must be used to achieve the desired effects), Transparent Red Iron Oxide (simply a lovely colour), any other colours that you like!
The following materials will be required for the rest of the classes:
- small – medium size jar of gesso
- 5-10 pieces of watercolour paper (140+lb is best but 90lb will be fine for experimenting)
- palette knives in various sizes (plastic is fine & economical)
- any collage papers you’d like to bring (anything goes – Japanese papers, magazines, candy wrappers, tissue, wrapping paper…keep in mind that not all of these will be archival)
- squeeze bottles
- Fluid Acrylic Paints are concentrated and wonderful for layering and glazing
- other brushes (rounds, filberts, angled etc)
- anything that has interesting texture (bubble wrap, corrugated cardboard, embroidered fabric, cheesecloth, etc, old credit cards to cut up, squeegee, stencils and/or stamps (you will be creating your own stamps as well))
- oil sticks
- pencils etc.
Other materials such as acrylic mediums will be provided.
*This course will be experimental as well as technique based, so feel free to bring anything that you’d like to explore!
- Terms & Conditions
By registering with the Guelph School of Art @ Wyndham Art Supplies you agree to our Terms & Conditions.