GSA Paint 1: Evenings Winter
By registering with the Guelph School of Art you agree to our Terms and Conditions
PAINTING 1: BEGINNER in Oil & Acrylic, Evenings
with Laura Harrison
6 WEEKS, THURSDAYS, JAN. 17 – FEB. 21, 6:30 – 9:30 PM
This course is designed for those who are new to the medium of painting and those returning to painting but looking to get back to the basics and work on essential skills. This course will cover subjects like basic material knowledge, paint handling, composition and colour theory while working on specific exercises to demonstrate these skills. Students will learn how to make a painting from start to finish, working on personal projects of their choice with individual instruction and encouragement. Only the basic materials will be required for the first class. Students will get a chance to try both oil and acrylic if they are undecided about what to start with, or bring any materials they already have if they would like to ask questions.
~Beginner to Intermediate Level
- Sketchbook of choice (8x10 or larger)
- HB pencil and eraser
- Canvas Paper Pad (preferably 9x12 or larger)
- one small 8”x8” square (3mm unmounted) birch panel
- one small jar of gesso
- 2” (or larger) bristle brush
- one 9x12 (or larger) painting support: this could be a canvas or canvas board, wood panel, masonite, or birch panel.
OIL & ACRYLIC PRIMARY COLOURS:
- lemon yellow
- cadmium yellow medium
- alizarin crimson
- cadmium red medium or light
- pthalo blue
- ultramarine blue
- titanium white
- ivory black
- *optional: burnt umber, yellow ochre, burnt sienna
- minimum 3-4 hog/coarse bristle brushes (#4 filbert or round, #6 filbert or flat, 1/2"-1" flat)
- linseed oil
- glass jar with a lid
- odorless solvent (Please do not bring strong paint thinners. odourless mineral spirits such as Gamsol only)
- disposable paper palette or wax paper.
- minimum 3-4 synthetic/soft bristle brushes (#4 filbert or round, #6 filbert or flat, 1/2"-1" flat)
- disposable paper palette or wax paper
- Terms & Conditions
By registering with the Guelph School of Art @ Wyndham Art Supplies you agree to our Terms & Conditions.