GSA Portrait from Photo: Days
By registering with the Guelph School of Art you agree to our Terms and Conditions
PORTRAIT PAINTING FROM PHOTOGRAPHS
6 WEEKS, THURSDAYS, NOV. 7 – DEC. 12, 12:30-3:30 PM
This course will take the students through the process of creating finished, realist paintings using printed photographs as our reference. From the initial drawing stage, to transferring the drawing to the gessoed board, to applying our first layers of paint to final rendering, this comprehensive course outlines the entire system of creating rich, realistic portraits.
Looking at and discussing paintings by some of the greats, we will discuss colour mixing, creating the illusion of light and shadow, and composition. Join us for this informative, satisfying and largely self-directed course.
Note: As we will be striving for a high level of craftsmanship, it is recommended that students have an intermediate level of drawing ability.
~Intermediate to Expert Level
- 11 x 14” sketchbook (or good drawing paper)
- 0.5 technical pencil with 2H leads
- 5H Staedtler pencil
- Factis BM2 Eraser
- 12” stainlesssteel ruler
- one sheet of graphite transfer paper
Any high-quality acrylic paint
Recommended colours: Mars or Ivory Black, Magenta, Primary Yellow, Pthalocyanine Blue (green shade if it’s an option), and a large tube of Titanium White. (We may make other recommendations depending on the photo a student chooses to work from)
- 11 x 14” (or larger) gessoed board is best for this course, canvas or canvas paper is strongly discouraged.
- Brushes: synthetic (and preferably stiff) #4 filbert brush (Winsor and Newton Monarch brushes are excellent, as are “Titanium” brushes), as well as a 1” angle brush and 1 or 2 5/0 round brushes (Premier Taklon or Simply Simmons are great for these). Any other synthetic brushes in your collection are welcome!
- an old rag for paint is helpful
- as is a clean container for water
- piece of 180 or 220 grit sandpaper is also highly recommended.
GSA Watercolour for Begin @ NA
October 30 - December 18
Spots Remaining: 1
GSA Painting Taste of Abstract
October 30 - December 4
Spots Remaining: 2
GSA Drawing for Beginners: Eve
October 29 - December 3
Spots Remaining: 0