GSA Botanical Drawing Workshop: Morning Glory in Coloured Pencil
By registering with the Guelph School of Art you agree to our Terms and Conditions
2 SUNDAYS, APRIL 13 & 14, 10 AM – 4 PM
with Michael Spillane
This workshop will show students how to produce stunning effects in coloured pencil botanical work, equal to that of watercolour painting. Easy to use and convenient to store and replace, coloured pencils can be used alone or combined with graphite. Techniques such as burnishing and layering, along with accurate colour matching, tonal rendering and composition will help students to master this rewarding medium. A step-by-step floral portrait of the above Morning Glory vine will be the focus of the two-day workshop.
Day one: The first day of the workshop will focus on developing the drawing for the floral portrait and exploring the various techniques used in coloured pencil drawing.
Day two: The second day will continue in the development process working to complete the Morning Glory.
~Beginner to Intermediate Level
- 1 sheet Arches or Fabriano 200 lb (or 240lb) hot-pressed watercolour around 10 x 13 inches
- masonite board 11” x 14”
- low-tac masking tape
- blending stumps / tortillons
- erasers: kneaded eraser
- Faber-Castell pencil eraser
- white vinyl eraser
- Mono Zero (Tombow) 2.3 mm round tip eraser
- sheet of graphite transfer paper
- small bottle of Demco Taltine solvent (please do not bring any other solvents or paint thinners in to the studio)
- marker blender with brush tip
- 2H graphite pencil
- Faber-Castell Polychromos coloured pencils:
|FC 274 Warm Grey V||FC 151 Helioblue-Reddish|
|FC 270 Warm Grey 1||FC 133 Magenta|
|FC 145 Light Pthalo Blue||FC 247 Indanthrene Blue|
|FC 143 Cobalt Blue||FC 179 Bister|
|FC 102 Strohgelb Cream||FC 170 May Green|
|FC 115 Dark Cadmium Orange||FC 278 Chrome Oxide Green|
|FC 106 Light Chrome Yellow||FC 101 White|
|FC 249 Mauve||Derwent Blender pencil (or similar Brand)|
- Terms & Conditions
By registering with the Guelph School of Art @ Wyndham Art Supplies you agree to our Terms & Conditions.