LINECO Methyl Cellulose 1.5OZ
A neutral pH, water reversible adhesive that drys clear. Use for repair, gluing end sheets and general archival adhesive applications.
Methyl cellulose, the main ingredient in most commercial wallpaper pastes, is acceptable for conservation purposes if used in its pure form. It comes as a white powder and does not need to be cooked.
Methyl cellulose is not as strong as starch paste but should give adequate support for objects of moderate size. It keeps for several weeks and does not require refrigeration.
One Time For Individual Use:
- Add 1 rounded tablespoon of methyl cellulose powder to 1/2 cup distilled water, stir, and let stand for several hours.
- Thin to the consistency of mayonnaise with distilled water. Methyl cellulose absorbs water slowly so dilution takes a few minutes.
For One Quart:
- Using a one quart container, sprinkle 5 tablespoons of methyl cellulose powder into one cup of very hot water. Stir briskly to prevent lumps.
- Once the powder is thoroughly dispersed, add enough cold water to make one quart.
- Let stand several hours, overnight if possible.
- To thin, add several drops of water, mix, and let stand.
- When ready to use, pour a small amount into a separate container for active use. Cover and store the main supply separately to prevent contamination or spoiling.